Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Coming up with New Story Ideas

No Idea by ~imaginee

As a writer, I'm constantly on the lookout for new story ideas, even though that means that I have some many stories to write that I won't be able to write them all for a long, long time. I get inspiration from life, TV shows, movies, books, my family and friends, people-gawking, and dreams. Especially dreams. And a lot of my stories are fantasy so that tells you something about my dreams, lol

But another way that I come up with story ideas is to just sit down and think about what story I would like to read. I'll read just about anything, and writing a story that is meant to be read... well, that's the whole aim of a published author, right?

So how do you come up with new story ideas? And what story would you like to read that hasn't been written yet?

5 comments:

LM Preston said...

I take time to observe the world around me, read magazines, talk to my kids (I write YA) about what's going on in their environment and I dream.

Andrea said...

Story ideas just dribble into my mind like grains of sand. I know they are divinely placed...I could never come up with them or write them on my own.
Blessings,
andrea

Suzanne Johnson said...

Seems like I get most ideas from watching the news! Since I write paranormals, I'm always thinking, "How would that be different if a (fill-in-the-blank supernatural being) were involved? Of course, most of them I discard because, really, how many vampire stories dealing with the economic crisis can one really write?

Amanda Borenstadt said...

New story ideas pop out of unexpected places. Maybe I'm hiking in the hills, watching my kids play in the creek, listening to a song, or watching people walk by in the city. I never know.

Lisa Rusczyk said...

I usually get story ideas when watching movies or TV. Especially the science channel or really good dramas.