Thursday, September 30, 2010

He Loves me, He Loves Me Not

My son loves me, there’s no question about that.

One day, I crouched down and held out my arms. “Come give Mommy a hug.”

His face broke out into a huge smile, and he started to run toward me… but stopped in his tracks when the basketball game that my husband was watching switched to a car commercial. My son raced back to the TV and watched the entire commercial. Only then, without further prompting, did he run to me and give me my hug.

Yes, my son loves me. But he loves cars just a little bit more.

11 comments:

Cherie Reich said...

Aww! That's just so cute!

Theresa Milstein said...

This made me laugh. Boys!

I used to think it was all nurture and not nature, until my son turned one. If it had wheels or it flew, my son was mesmerized. Since I don't have wheels and can't fly, I never could compete.

Jessica Bell said...

LOL! aw, how cute!

Mara Nash said...

I will never forget the day my son, then 5, sheepishly and with a seriously guilty look on his face says to me, "mom, I like boobs." Like he'd committed some heinous crime.

Yeah. He still adored hot wheels and collected airplanes and played video games and did other boy stuff, but after that every time we went grocery shopping he eyeballed the magazines at the checkout. He could read by then but I was sure it was the boobs he was looking at.

Thankfully, now that he's 18 he's become extremely discerning and although I'm sure he still eyeballs boobs, he hasn't made any stupid choices where they're concerned.

Maybe we did something right when we were raising him. I sure hope so!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word...that's so cute.

Tessa Quin said...

Haha! That's so cute. I love it when my boys break into a smile like that and come running. It's the best.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Uh-oh! He's attracted to big boy toys already!

Southpaw said...

Heartbreaking for you but oh so precious.

Windy Aphayrath said...

That's so cute! And at least he's clear and honest with his actions.

Stephanie said...

LOL! Kids are so easily distracted!!

Anonymous said...

My daughters did similar things LOL! If a commercial with a toy they wanted came on, it was, "Daddy Who?"


Stephen Tremp